Course Developer: The University of Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Timeline: 3 weeks.
Course Type: Online Certificate Course.
Aim: To equip Medical Students, Medical Trainees, Consultants, Nurses and Healthcare Professionals on how to handle complex issues faced in Critical Care Units when other options in the ward have been exhausted.
The Critical Nature of Critical Care Medicine.
Critical care is an emerging specialty in hospitals and, with an increasing population living with multiple co-morbidites, the burden on Critical Care Units is rising. In this course, find out about the common presentations seen in a Critical Care Unit and how to manage them effectively.
The course will equip you on how to handle pneumonia, how to manage multi-organ failure in trauma, how to recognize and manage sepsis early and how to prioritize the management of a trauma patient who needs resuscitation.
- Management of multi-organ failure in trauma
- Early recognition and management of sepsis
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:-
- Describe the meaning of Critical Care Unit and how support is different to that provided in the ward
- Discuss which patients should be managed in Critical Care
- Summarize the management of respiratory failure in critically ill patients in the High Dependency Unit and Intensive Care Unit
- Debate appropriate triage of multiple patients involved in trauma
- Discuss the management of polytrauma patients including the management of major haemorrhage
- summarize the initial management of a patient with sepsis
Eligibility & Requirements
The course is aimed at medical students, medical trainees, consultants and other health professionals with an interest in critical care.
Participants do not need any prior experience or qualifications.
To be certified in this course, you will experience the following:-
- Unlimited access to course materials, such as articles, videos, peer reviews and quizzes
- Tests to validate your learning
- N/B:Joining and learning the course is free. But to get a print and digital Certificate of Achievement once you’re eligible, you will need to upgrade the course and pay $64.
About University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is a public research university in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom. Founded by papal bull in 1451, the institution is the fourth-oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of Scotland’s four ancient universities. The University of Glasgow is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of leading UK research universities.